Painted furniture is a growing trend in design that adds some amazing colors and customization to your décor. You can purchase Maine Cottage painted furniture in just about any color and then add in accents to match that color. You can also paint your own furniture in solid colors or even make your own design. When you use bold, painted colors on your furniture, like in the dining room, adding accents such as crafts, place settings, a table runner, or table centerpieces to match the colors of the chairs help tie in the color scheme. The best way to make use of painted furniture is to sparsely use the bold and bright paint on various pieces to coordinate the paint colors without overwhelming the room with them.
How to Paint Your Furniture:
If you decide to paint furniture to match the color scheme, here are step by step furniture painting instructions that will help you achieve the result of professionally painted furniture:
- Clean the furniture thoroughly and remove any bumps with a product like Murphy’s Oil. This will prevent cracking or chipping of paint in the future. If it is furniture like a painted desk that has drawers or any separate pieces, take them out and paint them separately.
- Buff out any imperfections by sanding it down with medium-grit sandpaper. Make sure to remove any old paint or gloss so that the new paint has a good surface to adhere to.
- Prime the furniture with primer paint. This helps hide any discolorations and makes a great, smooth surface for painting.
- Once the primer dries, sand again, this time with fine-grit sandpaper. This will insure a smooth finish and also help the paint adhere to the furniture and have a professional look.
- Paint the furniture, letting the paint dry in between each coat, and also sand with the fine-grit sandpaper before each coat of paint.
- Seal the paint with a sealer once the paint has fully had a chance to dry. It is very important to wait until the paint has fully dried for a full 24 to 48 hours before sealing.